3.03.2012

Cloverfield- I'm Dizzy.

This movie consists of more runny-nose shots than the Blair Witch Project (review coming soon). Throughout the movie, the hand-held camera which this movie is shot on makes you feel like you're on a carnival ride, but not one of the enjoyable ones.

Directed by Matt Reeves and written by Drew Goddard, Cloverfield came out in 2008. This movie "Revolves around a monster attack in New York as told from the point of view of a small group of people," (imdb.com). The movie is shot on a hand-held camera while 'Hud' (T.J. Miller) tries to capture every moment of it. Hud is obviously not the most graceful person, so he falls, drops the camera, and shows random shots of the ground. All of this combined could make a simple bird look scary.

Pros:
-The monster is truly amazing
 Even though you get about only one good look at the monster, I feel it is stunning and that the film's main film effects supervisors Nick Tom and Phil Tippett did a great job. I was truly enticed by the creature.
 -There was still a story.
Some horror movies I have watched fail to have a good story behind it, but I found that this movie had an enjoyable one. There was depth behind the group of friends and not only that, but there was even a "love story"-type thing throughout the story. Don't worry guys- it's a very minor story throughout the movie

Cons:
-I'm going to be sick
 By the end of the movie I felt like I was going to be sick, I was so dizzy that I couldn't see straight. Unlike Blair Witch (sorry, I keep referring back to this movie but I feel this is a good example of a movie that uses a hand-held camera) there was way too much running, falling and quick turns. I couldn't see straight.

Overall, this movie would have been very enjoyable if it hadn't made me so dizzy.

RATING: 6.7/10




"I think when they started filming Cloverfield, somebody accidentally dropped the camera. Someone else said, "Cool." So they kept dropping the camera. And they threw it, and jerked it, and kicked it. And it went into terminal spasms."
-Tony Macklin, Fayetteville Free Weekly

No comments:

Post a Comment